St. Anna's Branch – Ukrainian Women's Association
On November 6, 1979, an organizational committee founded the women's branch of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of St. Anthony's in the west end of Edmonton. In 1980, the organization was incorporated into the Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada and, at that time, became Alberta's newest branch. The members of the newly formed branch decided to adopt St. Anna of Kyiv (Princess) as our Patron Saint - this was appropriate as our first meeting was held in November. We now commemorate the Venerable St. Anna on the 16th of November (Gregorian calendar) or the 3rd of November (Julian calendar).
Main Goals & Objectives (from the UWAC Constitution)
- To support and execute all manner of deeds and acts that contribute to the continual growth of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and encourage members to practice and live by Christian principles as enunciated by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
- To work diligently to preserve, develop, and nurture the Ukrainian cultural heritage and traditions as a distinctive contribution to the national culture of Canada.
- To actively foster the principles of cultural cooperation and education within Canadian society.
2019 Executive Board
- President - Sylvia Gray
- Past President - Kimberley Gutsche
- Vice President - Isabella Deleanu
- Secretary - Charlene Boyko
- Treasurer - Mackenzie Reed/Bernice Parchewsky
- Auditors - Lillian Rule, Darlene Pecush and Nadine Pidluzny
- Fundraising - Lil Tymchuk
- Archives - Annette Boyko
- Museum - Sylvia Gray
- Kiosk - Isabella Deleanu, Sylvia Gray
We presently have a total of 62 devoted members. Branch meetings are held monthly and our Annual General Meeting is held in January of each year. Our 2019 AGM was Sunday, January 27.
Aside from the contributions to Church supplies and equipment, over time St. Anna's Branch has supported and donated conscientiously to the following outside organizations:
- St. Andrew's College,
- Ukrainian Bilingual Language Association of Alberta,
- 'Bar-V-Nok' and 'Kiev's Ki-Hi' Camps,
- Chalice Canada [Christian Child Care International re: 'Pochaiv' Project (Child Sponsorship)],
- 'Pochaiv' Orphanage (clothes, tractor/harrows/trailer),
- 'Sokal' (Student Awards) & 'Pochaiv' Safe House (extension of 'Pochaiv' Orphanage) Projects - Ukraine,
- Canadian Red Cross (re: earthquake victims in India and El Salvador),
- Ivan Franko School of Ukrainian Studies,
- Rainbow Society,
- St. John's Institute [re: annual student exchange, spiritual missions (sponsorship) & 'Osvita' (Ukrainian Summer Language Camp)] Programs,
- St. John's 'Sadochok',
- Ukrainian Canadian Social Services,
- Edmonton Police Foundation (re: helicopter),
- Lessard Community (re: playground equipment),
- St. Stephen's Cemetery,
- Kids Kottage Foundation,
- WIN House (Edmonton Women's Shelter),
- Hope Mission,
- Local Council of Women (re: 'Make-A-Difference'),
- Make-A-Wish Foundation,
- Orthodox Youth Rally in Greece 2007,
- Bissell Centre,
- Canadian Cycstic Fibrosis Foundation,
- Braille Note BT 32 (re: tool for a visually impaired child),
- Youth Emergency Shelter Society,
- St. Martin's Bilingual Playschool.
St. Anna's regularly has Ukrainian food and cookbooks for sale including:
- Pyrohy: potato/cheddar cheese, potato/cottage cheese, & potato/onion - $10.00 per 2 dozen ($5.00 per dozen)
- Cabbage Rolls: Sweet Leaf - $5.00 per dozen
Also Available from St. Anna's Branch:
- Baba's Cook Book: Volume l - $15.00 or 1 case of 50 for $10.00 each
- Ukrainian Daughter's Cookbook - $20.00
- Lenten Cookbook: A Collection of Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes - $15.00
- From Baba With Love - $35.00
Next Pyrohy Dinner: February 2020
Our popular pyrohy dinners are held approximately eight times a year. Four plated dinners are available to eat in or take home. All plates are served with sour cream, onion, coleslaw, a drink (tea, coffee or juice,) and dessert. Cabbage Rolls are also available for purchase with your meal, 2 for $1.00. Dinners are from 4:30 - 7:30 PM. Bring your family, friends, and neighbours.
Combo Plate #1 - $12.00: 10 Pyrohy & Sausage Combo Plate #3 - $9.00: 6 Pyrohy & Sausage
Combo Plate #2 - $10.00: 12 Pyrohy Combo Plate #4 - $8.00: 6 Pyrohy
St. Anthony’s Christmas Bake Sale was Saturday, December 7, at 10:00 AM. We will have homemade kolachi, chiffon cakes and cinnamon buns; freshly baked fruit pies; and a plethora of other home baking. In addition, we will be selling frozen pyrohy, including sauerkraut; cabbage rolls; and perennial favorites nalysnyky, & pyroshky. We will also have gluten-free sausage available for purchase, ground poppyseed, and more. Or just come and join us for coffee and a slice of pie!
A complimentary fellowship lunch is served after the Divine Liturgy on most Sundays. The lunch is provided by volunteers, both men and women, from the Parish and coordinated by members of UWAC-St. Anna's Branch. Please see the Volunteers page for team schedules.